RE: [Xen-devel] make mkpatches broken

To: "Nivedita Singhvi" <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] make mkpatches broken
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:56:48 +0100
Cc: Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:56:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > > I think there's still an outstanding question as to whther its
> > possible to configure bugzilla to enable anonymous bug
> sumbissions (no
> > login). If so, we'll go with bugzilla to enable
> crosslinking with other bugzillas.
> > If not, I porpose to just go with the Trac server we already have.
> >
> > Anyone know?
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to do that. Bugzilla
> seems to require a user login (email/pw).  All of the
> documentation also suggests so. The two bugzillas I've worked
> with (OSDL's and IBM internal) are set up to require a login.
>
> You could set up a dummy login account and a default mailing
> list as the email if needed, would that be sufficient for
> your needs? From what I can see, it's important to be able to
> exchange email with the submitter, so having it be a genuine
> email is useful. Is an anonymous login a showstopper?
> Is the issue supporting the submitter login accounts?

Several of the the team are of the strong view that requiring users to
create an account and login to submit a bug means that many bugs don't
get submitted out of laziness.

I guess the simplest hack would just be to change the bugzilla login
dialogue such that it tells people to login with an acount called 'bug'
password 'bug' if they don't want to create a real account.

Other than this, I'm not aware of any strong preference of Trac over
Bugzilla. It would be good to hear if other people have strong views
either way.

Ian

Perhaps we could get around this by having a default account (with a
/dev/null email) and tell people to login o