[Xen-devel] Re: Loopback Performance (Was Re: Disk naming)

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Loopback Performance (Was Re: Disk naming)
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:12:23 -0500
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:14:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:

On Friday 15 April 2005 23:11, Anthony Liguori wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't follow this. The inodes for the filesystem inside it only need to be looked up by the guest filesystem driver. The inode for the disk file only needs to be looked up once in dom0 when the file is opened (the metadata will then be cached). Am I missing something?
I meant looking up the data blocks in the inode. You may be hitting triple-indirect blocks twice.

I don't know enough about the kernel level caching to say anything definitive. I do have some ideas who to ask though.

Regards,
Anthony Liguori

The data you've collected are interesting though. I wonder if searching the LKML archives might yield any interesting discussion about the loop device's behaviour.

Cheers,
Mark