Re: [Xen-devel] Clustered xAPIC and Unisys ES7000 patch

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Clustered xAPIC and Unisys ES7000 patch
From: "Natasha Jarymowycz" <natasha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:55:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:55:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian,

I sent a second patch to the list last wednesday night/thursday
morning April 6.  I can resend if you need me to.

Some of this work conflicts with my patch (but not a significant
amount).  These patches are based on linux 2.4.  Unfortunately,
the code organization changed drastically for linux 2.6 and it
will be a bit of work to get the Xen code up to date.  However,
I do believe that modeling Xen after 2.6 will give a much cleaner
implentation -- the code for the various machines which use
clustered apics can go into separate files instead of having
so many ifdef's in the files.

I would like to propose updating all the Xen apic code.  I think
the first step is just to model new code, such as the ES7000 support
code, after 2.6 as far as code organization goes.  Then the extra
code from 2.4 can be stripped out.  I was going to send some patches
to start stripping out code but wasn't sure if the Unisys team
was using it or not.  Clearly they are so that will have to wait.
I also wrote a set of patches for Summit clustered APIC support
(which are currently untested) so I'm aware of some of the changes
which need to be made to the code for re-organization.  I'd like
to submit some patches for that but they will conflict with
these ES7000 patches.  So I guess we just need to make a decision
what the best way forward is/how much re-org we want to do right now.

Natasha Jarymowycz