[Xen-devel] Unstableness in grant table block drivers

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Unstableness in grant table block drivers
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:18:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:04:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We've experienced a lot of problems in the new grant table-based block
drivers.  It's exposing itself in a number of ways.  I've seen it stop
working after working for a bit, sometimes XenU stops half-way through
boot, and on one system init panics because it can't find a root
filesystem.

Grant table block drivers are now the default config option in
xen-unstable even though it's marked as experimental.  Perhaps it should
not be default until it gets a bit more stable?

I know the last week's been really busy, but in the future, it would be
nice if a big destabilizing change like this could get announced on
xen-devel so we could be on the look out for these sort of bugs.

Thanks,
--
Anthony Liguori
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin