Re: [Xen-devel] MPI benchmark performance gap between native linux anddo

To: "Santos, Jose Renato G (Jose Renato Santos)" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] MPI benchmark performance gap between native linux anddomU
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:59:12 +0100
Cc: "Turner, Yoshio" <yoshio_turner@xxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Aravind Menon <aravind.menon@xxxxxxx>, xuehai zhang <hai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, G John Janakiraman <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:56:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 5 Apr 2005, at 03:07, Santos, Jose Renato G (Jose Renato Santos) wrote:

 Here is a brief explanation of the problem we found and the solution
that worked for us.
  Xenolinux allocates a full page (4KB) to store socket buffers instead
of using just MTU bytes as in traditional linux. This is necessary to
enable page exchanges between the guest and the I/O domains. The side
effect of this is that memory space used for socket buffers is not very
efficient.

This is true, but these days we lie to the network stack about how big the skb data area is. The 'truesize' field, which is what I think is used for socket buffer accounting, will be around 1600 bytes, not 4096. So I would expect the old trick of reducing the receive windows not to work: but if it does then that is very interesting!

 -- Keir