RE: [Xen-devel] How many lines of Xen source code

To: "Xin Zhao" <zhaoxin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] How many lines of Xen source code
From: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:52:13 +0100
Cc: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:31:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You are right, at the moment both Xen and Dom0 are part of the TCB, but
there are a few activities going on here.

There is some effort in reducing the size of xen by moving some of the
platform init code out of Xen. This should significantly reduce the
source code size of xen as we can get rid of most of the ACPI and PCI
related code. This is primarily a portability related issue, essentially
being able to leverage better standard linux platform init code, but
also has the side effect of making Xen simpler.

Within a security context we are also actively looking at reducing the
TCB, basically deconstructing Dom0. Fine grained MAC at it's current
operation is part of the picture as is delegating some of it's
functionality to other domains, in particular the IO functions it
currently performs on behalf of other domains, but also things like
domain building.

The issue of reducing the TCB will probably play a major part in a
meeting prior to the xen summit next week. We plan to report back to the
list.

Rolf