[Xen-devel] Arch changes process suggestion (was: [patch] final header f

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Arch changes process suggestion (was: [patch] final header fixes)
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:00:52 -0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:02:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When I was at this stage (working through header file issues)
of the Xen/ia64 port, I had a long list of minor patches to
common files.  The core Xen team (Ian and Keir) asked that,
wherever possible, I handle ia64 changes _with minimal impact_
to common files/headers.   This was annoying as I had to carry
a lot of inelegant code in ia64-specific files for a long time.

Looking back, however, I think it was the right decision.  As
the Xen/ia64 code evolved (and eventually ran), many of the
common changes I asked for also changed or, in some cases,
went away.  In the end, there were a small number of patches
I needed that were unavoidable.

I'd like to suggest that this is also the right approach for
new arch's:  If something can be made to work with just changes
to arch-specific files, even unaesthetic changes, just do it.
Then later when Xen/ppc (and perhaps other arch's) are working,
we can have a "clean up the common code" fest.  In the meantime,
minor cosmetic changes that require work both in the core
and in other arch's are just keeping us from making real
progress on needed functionality and stability.

Just my opinion...
Dan