[Xen-devel] Xen & VT

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen & VT
From: Deepak Manohar <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:02:29 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:03:26 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

 I did see some previous threads regd Xen & VT. But cudnt find detailed answers.

So here is alist of questions:

1. Wht is the device access model with XenVT and unmod Linux .
Obviously it cannot be using the front end back end, becos there is no
front end in unmod Linux. So how exactly is Xen still controlling
access to devices by unmod Linux?

2. System calls: How are system calls within unmod Linux being
serviced now? Since unmod Linux runs in ring 0 - the sys call int can
go directly to unmod Linux itself instead of via Xen. How is it being
done?

3. External interrupts: With multiple domains and with VT how exactly
are external interrupts being demultiplexed to the different domains?

4.  Task switches. How was task switching happening in XenoLinux? Now
VT specifically mentions that Task switches are not allowed in VMX
Non-root mode is there any change in the way Task switches are done.

5. Shadow page tables: How exactly has this changed from the existing
handling of the page tables & directories. I didnt quite understand
the explanation in /docs/misc/VMX_changes.txt

thanks.
Deepak