Re: [Xen-devel] USB virt port to 2.6 status

> > I created a new bus device to represent a virtual bus where each USB
> > back-end will be represented as a device.
>
> [Harry, not sure I understood your scheme fully, so excuse a few
> dumb questions]
>
> I'm assuming that means: real USB Device = 1 backend?

In Linux you have to create a bus device (which is not a USB device) that
represents the USB bus.  Multiple USB devices are then associated with this
bus device.  I think this is what Harry is referring to.

> > Once I'm done with both the 2.6 back and front end code I'll look at
> > commoning up code between the 2.4 and 2.6 drivers.

Harry, how would you feel about getting any working 2.6 code checked in before
commoning up the drivers?  I think there's something to be said for having it
in the tree.  The other drivers (block, net, balloon) have also gone through
a phase of being duplicated in the tree before being merged back together...

> The expectation is that all the following permutations:
>       2.4 be <-> 2.4 fe
>       2.6 be <-> 2.4 fe
>       2.4 be <-> 2.6 fe
>       2.6 be <-> 2.6 fe
>
> will work?

I think it's realistic to aim for the USB interface to be OS independent so
it'll work with any Linux and, potentially with other OSs too.  Harry has
identified some minor points where the interface could usefully be tweaked
for this purpose.

Cheers,
Mark