Re: [Xen-devel] Custom Kernel Question

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Stephen Le wrote:

I just started using Xen 2.0, and I have a question regarding
compiling your own custom kernel for domain 0. I've tried searching
the mailing lists and reading the documentation, but nothing seems to
work.

I've downloaded the source code tarball for Xen 2.0.4 and I have a
working 2.6.10 kernel configuration. How do I compile Xen with my
kernel configuration? That is, how do I tell Xen which kernel
configuration to use during the compilation?

I've tried placing the kernel configuration file in
xen-2.0/linux-2.6.10-xen0 and that didn't work. I also tried placing
my configuration file in xen-2.0/dist/install/boot after first
performing a "make" and that also didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

This is what worked for me (from memory). I unpacked a fresh copy of linux 2.6.10 source, and then did:

# First make and install xen and the tools
cd xen-2.0-testing
make xen tools
cd ..

# Then make and install the kernel
cp -a --reply=yes xen-2.0-testing/linux-2.6.10-xen-sparse/* linux-2.6.10
cp .config linux-2.6.10
cd linux-2.6.10

Now you can either do
 make xconfig ARCH=xen
or
 make oldconfig ARCH=xen

make ARCH=xen
cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen

# Then edit bootloader configuration
nano /etc/grub.conf

Note that Xen will automatically remove items in your kernel config which it thinks won't work.

--
Robin