Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?

To: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?
From: Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:01:48 +0000
Cc: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>, Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:02:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:03:12PM -0800, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
> Anyway, I did a fairly thorough investigation of the whole build-system
> scene a few years ago, and back then my conclusion was that while Jam is
> not perfect, it is lightyears ahead of make in speed and portability
> (make will basically not work on a non-unix box, because all Makefiles
> tend to rely heavily on tools such as sed and awk), and is both faster
> and easier to use than other make replacements such as Ant and SCons.

I've been doing a similar analysis for our large cross platform C++
program recently.

Jam looks interesting.  Ant - who'd want to write XML files to build
stuff!  SCons looks particularly interesting as you can include
arbitrary Python code.  Since Python is our scripting language of
choice it makes perfect sense.  And may do so for the Xen developer
community too.

My guess is that Xen sticks with make though - the devil you know etc
;-)

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick