[Xen-devel] Graphical demo CD beta

To: "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Graphical demo CD beta
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:31:47 -0000
Cc: "Jared Rhine" <jared@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:01:56 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Folks,

Jared Rhine has done a great job producing a text-based demo CD for Xen,
but we've been getting quite a few requests for a graphical demo, like
we used to have for the Xen 1.0 and 1.2 releases.

Tim Deegan very kindly volunteered to produce one, and it's now ready
for some external beta testing. It's Debian based, and enables you to
start linux 2.4, linux 2.6, and FreeBSD-based virtual machines. We want
to get NetBSD on there too for the final version (in grateful
recognition of NetBSD's early adoptance of Xen), but have just been too
busy so far.

It would be great if a few people could download the CD, test it on a
bunch of hardware, and provide feedback and suggestions as to how to
improve it.

This isn't the final version, so please don't submit any articles to
Slashdot etc as until it goes on Sourceforge we won't be able to handle
the bandwidth (and each download will cost us real money!)

It's our intention to link to the final version of the CD along side
Jared's on the Xen community web pages. Jared's CD is certainly a much
better choice if you care about download size and don't need a graphical
environment.

Here's the CD:
 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/xen/downloads/xendemo-2.0-beta1.iso

Thanks go to Tim Deegan for a great job.

Best,
Ian