Re: [Xen-devel] frontend and backend

> Hi, I am reading frontend and backend block drivers. I find the frontend
> and the backend are matched magicly by xend. Is there any way for the
> frontend to choose a backend by itself? I am trying to provide a new pair
> of frontend and backend drivers. How can I let xend know they should match
> each other? I can assign them a different pair of IDs in
> domain_controller.h, of course.

If you want the frontend itself to be able to choose, you should add a domid
field into one of the frontend's control messages, then write appropriate
code in Xend that will parse this message and notify the correct backend.
This is what I have done for XenFS.

> Another question is about the function virt_to_machine. Does it convert
> linear address to machine address? Is the machine address here the same as
> physical memory address? If not, when a page is used as a shared ring, why
> the machine address is sent, instead of the physical address?

Virtual addresses == what the application sees (as per normal)
(Pseudo)physical addresses == what most of the guest kernel regards as
physical memory.  It provides the illusion of a contiguous physical memory.
These don't have much meaning outside the domain.
Machine addresses == The actual address in the machine's memory, suitable for
inserting into page tables and for passing to other domains so they can map
your memory.

HTH,
Mark