Re: [Xen-devel] help with horrible network failures

Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] help with horrible network failures
From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:34:18 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:38:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday 02 March 2005 04:52 pm, Rob Gardner wrote:

Nivedita Singhvi wrote:

Rob Gardner wrote:

The machine with the problem:
Intel e100 nic
1.7 Ghz Xeon

Yep, practically all instances of this problem were
with the e100. Unfortunately, the current version
of the driver no longer has NAPI as a dynamically
tunable parameter via ethtool. It can be disabled
via a kernel config parameter (CONFIG_E100_NAPI).
You could recompile and see if the problem disappears.
(Not a real fix).

My current configuration has:
# CONFIG_E100_NAPI is not set

Isn't that the same as it being disabled? Or should I change it to:
CONFIG_E100_NAPI=n

Yes, that is disabled, but from my previous statement that does nothing in e100 (as it is enabled regardless of that compile flag). I think there have been a few driver fixes that were dropped in the newly released 2.6.11. If you can't change the adapter, it might be worth trying.

So... the answer is to try linux kernel 2.6.11? The latest xen-unstable still looks like it's using 2.6.10, and so does xen-2.04. So I don't understand what exactly I should try next.

NAPI is a compile time option, not a runtime option. so, it must be enabled during kernel compilation.

But you just said that it does nothing in e100. Or do you mean I need to modify the e100 driver directly?

Rob