[Fwd: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbee - Xenoboot CD]

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbee - Xenoboot CD]
From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:01:52 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:01:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim:
I emailed improperly so am now forwarding to you and the list and have also included -- immedialy
below -- a question about the LIVE CD.

Could you provide the URL for the statement you made, "There will be a Xen/Debian/BSD live CD available from the Xen project site within the next few days, which does boot to Xen". I am very interested in this CD (probably an iso image?).

Does this mean that the LIVE CD contains a Debian Distribution with Xen installed and containing one virtual machine containing the BSD OS? If so, I assume one can create another virtual machine with some other OS, or would this LIVE CD be restricted to the one existing virtual machine? In other words what would one be able to do with this LIVE CD other than run the BSD OS as a demo? Could the LIVE CD or it's contents somehow be put onto a hard drive to provide a fully functional and expandable system? I read in a magazine that such things are possible when the OS is Debian.

Following is the contents of the email I am forwarding.

Tim

Thank you for the comment.  I created a high level brief (no details) 4 point outline regarding what I think I have to do and would appreciate your comments.
So I guess (based on what you said) I will have to:

1. Install a Linux distribution (how about SuSE 9.1 which has a 2.6.x kernel)?
2. Either (using the Xen source or an Xen binary) replace the SuSE 9.1 kernel
with Xen which I understand is built on (uses or is part of -- ported to) either
the 2.4.x and the 2.6.x kernel)?
3. Then using Xen create a virtual machine into which I can "plant" SuSE 9.2 OS
or some other 2.6.x based Linux distribution or even BSD?
4. Then I can take the customized Xenoboot CD for that Xen installation and use it for
a permanent front end boot and recovery system and also a way to backup systems
as well as using one system as a template to create(clone) others or migrate a system
or even partitions????

Thanks, Ted

Tim Deegan wrote:
Hi Ted,

Just to be clear -- you know the Xenoboot CD doesn't have Xen on it,
right?  It's just a piece of boot infrastructure we use for controlling
test machines.

There will be a Xen/Debian/BSD live CD available from the Xen project
site within the next few days, which does boot to Xen (but doesn't do
the boot infrastructure things that the Xenoboot does), or alternatively
Jred Rhine has made a Xen/ttylinux boot CD which is much smaller and
would be easier to download. ( http://software.wordzoo.com/xencd/ )

Tim.