Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Reproducable data corruption on xen-unstable

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Rik van Riel wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Robin Green wrote:

I was under the impression that the Xorg server I'm using (savage) doesn't use AGP yet, at least not in the release that's in FC3.
Er, how exactly do I tell if it's using AGP?

Tonight's rawhide kernel (2.6.10-1.1120_FC4) has the
Xen agpgart patch, as well as last night's xen-unstable
source tree.  Could you please try reproducing the bug
with the latest kernel ?

It is reproducable still. Latest xen also.

I also rebuilt 2.6.10-1.1121_FC4 without any AGP options enabled, and
it is still reproducable.

And whether savage or vesa X server is used, or whether NoAccel is on or off, it still occurs. (However, the konsole window should be quite tall or
it may not occur - mine is 800 pixels [44 lines] high.)

I also found that

 su -c 'renice 19 `/sbin/pidof X`'

makes the probability of the bug occuring higher. Counterintuitive, maybe,
but true.

If no-one else can reproduce it, I can attempt to put some assertions in the paranoia.c code to determine if this is main memory corruption or register corruption. (I suspect the latter.) Let me know if you want me to try this.

Just to reiterate, no this is not hardware error, because it does not occur outside of Xen :)

Could this possibly be related to the other bug I found, the "APIC error
on CPU0"? That interrupt handler may be still operating, for all I know - my patch doesn't _disable_ it, it just shuts it up.

--
Robin