Re: [Xen-devel] inclusion of figlet source

To: Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] inclusion of figlet source
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:57:35 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:58:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Why is figlet source included in xen?  Wouldn't it make more sense to alter
> xen/Makefile, to have compile.h built from a .in, and the figlet view of the
> version info, and have the upstream developers regen the figlet part when the
> version changes?

Perhaps it should be under xen/tools/figlet rather than xen/figlet,
but it is tiny and it is useful to have the banner auto-gen'ed from
the version number in the Makefile. There's no obvious advantage to
removing it -- it hardly bloats the repository and it takes negligible
time to build.

Using autoconf/automake would make sense for a highly portable
application that must compile on many platforms with many different
environments and compilers. For Xen I think it'll just complicate
things. We only support one arch at the moment -- as others are
incorporated they will extend compile.h manually for their own
compilation environment if it isn't GCC. The main thing that autoconf
does of course is shield you from environment differences (e.g. sysv
vs. bsd) -- but Xen never includes system headers so this is also a
non-issue.

> I'm willing to modify the build system to do this.  I'm also fixing several
> other poor implementation of things.

We recommend as far as possible that you don't work on improvements in
a vacuum. The earlier you let us know what you're doing, the earlier
you get feedback on what we do and don't want.

 -- Keir