[Xen-devel] Re: ... and mailing list reply-to

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: maney@xxxxxxxxx (Martin Maney)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:39:25 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:40:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Executive summary: this list is already setup with the correct solution
to the problem.  Address complaints to MUA authors who don't support
it.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:17:03AM +0200, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> "Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful:
>
>   http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> "Reply-To" Munging Considered Useful:
>
>   http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-useful.html
>
> It is the list administrators' responsibility to pick one - and I
> doubt there can be any discussion on the matter that hasn't been said
> ten times over in different places already.

One thing that doesn't appear to be said in either of those position
pieces is that there's a better solution than either munging the
reply-to or doing a reply to all (which tends to produce extra copies
to an ever-growing list of people who already get a copy due to being
subscribed.  I can't fathom why Chip overlooked this problem with his
"solution" to the problem).

The correct solution is an explicit reply-to-list header, of course.

If you examine the headers of traffic from this list (and, IME,
somewhere around half of the other lists you're subscribed to), you'll
find a header that serves this purpose.  The chief drawback with this
solution is merely that it still can't be relied upon to be present,
let alone in the same form, from list to list, and MUAs don't generally
support it.  Yet.

--
Distributionis non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
  (William of Occam, in the parallel universe where he was a Linux sysop)