[Xen-devel] details on /proc/interrupts

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] details on /proc/interrupts
From: Diwaker Gupta <diwakergupta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:04:17 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:10:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi devs,

Can someone shed some light on what the various interrupts (as seen
from inside a guest OS) mean? Here's a sample:

           CPU0
128:          1     Dynamic-irq  misdirect
129:        199     Dynamic-irq  ctrl-if
130:     121843     Dynamic-irq  timer
131:       6675     Dynamic-irq  blkif
132:     136768     Dynamic-irq  eth0
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

AFAIK, the timer interrupts are the ones delivered by Xen to a guest
OS on one of three events -- a periodic timer to the currently
executing domain, an interrupt when a domain gets scheduled, and
interrupts on events programmed by the guest OS itself.

Now, I'm guessing the eth0 interrupts are raised when a packet arrives
for that particular guest OS. Is this interrupt flagged by the domain
which is acting as the backend for that interface, or the Xen
hypervisor itself?

The blkif and the ctrl-if are the ones that I'd like to know some more
about -- what are these interrupts, who raises them and when. Same for
the misdirect interrupt.

TIA
--
Diwaker Gupta