Re: [Xen-devel] help adding extended text modes in Hypervisor

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] help adding extended text modes in Hypervisor
From: Edward Middleton <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:11:11 +0900
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:12:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:

I am trying to get the hypervisor to run in an extended text modes,
specifically 132x44 text mode. I don't really know much about
setting video modes so there may be something inherently broken with
my approach. I have done some Linux device drivers programming and a
little assembler but am probably out of my depth. I have tried
putting the correct VGA register settings (taken after booting into
132x44 text mode vga=0x133 in regular Linux) for this mode into
Feel free to say 'yes', but is it really worth the effort?
Ultimately it would be good being able to see most of the boot messages while booting. I guess it really depends on whether its possible to get video.S to work (allow the same mode selection as Linux) with a simple hack or weather it is much more involved.

When dom0 takes over the VGA console (which is the default mode
of operation) you can arrange to put it into whatever mode you
like; you just won't get the initial boot messages from Xen in
the extended text mode.
I was looking at modifying the hypervisor because I couldn't get this to work and couldn't find a specific reference stating it was possible. I have the following lines in grub and it doesn't set the video mode

title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x133

I have tried various permutations of this with no success.

Thanks

Edward