Re: [Xen-devel] "Bounties" on XEN to Windows2000 support

To: Jan Kundrát <jan.kundrat@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] "Bounties" on XEN to Windows2000 support
From: Matt Piechota <piechota@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:07:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Pete Taphouse <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:09:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Jan Kundrát wrote:

The obvious direction for VirtualServer to evolve is towards paravirtualization. I believe that there will soon be an MS virtualization product which allows Windows to run very efficiently, and furthermore it will be a *supported* hardware configuration for Windows.

... and you'll have to pay them for it, of course. I have doubts if they would support running non-MS OSes on the top of it.

Exactly. Microsoft isn't going to pay someone to develop XP for Xen when they can sell you their own product. Even if you offer to foot the bill, they're still going to see it as cutting into Virtual Server sales.

BTW: Anyone know what happened to www.fsmware.com? I was all ready to start working with FreeBSD and Xen and the website disappears (it pings, but response from the http server).

--
Matt Piechota
Key Available from pgp.mit.edu