[Xen-devel] Binary install suggestions

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Binary install suggestions
From: Penelope Fudd <kernel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:00:22 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:02:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I've just installed xen-2.0.1-install.tgz on a Fedora Core 2 system, and
I thought I'd suggest an enhancement or two for the installation
program.

1. Copying files into /etc/init.d didn't work perfectly.
  - /etc/init.d is a symbolic link in FC2, and for some reason, cp says:
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory `/etc/init.d' with directory
`./install/etc/init.d'
  - I don't know why it should barf like that; after all, it's a symlink
to a directory.

2. The /boot partition may be a separate partition.
  - On my system, the grub.conf file now says:

title Xen 2.0 /XenLinux 2.6.9
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=128000 console=vga
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/hda5 ro console=tty0

  - Also, when it was copying the files into /boot, that dinky partition
ran out of space.  I cleaned out some old kernels, and the problem went
away.  Maybe have a disk-space check?  (df /boot)

3. Runlevel issues
  - I have a default runlevel of 5, which starts a graphical login.
  - Mention in the manual how much memory a person needs to run X
(128M+swap looks good for me for now), or suggest defaulting to runlevel
3.

4. Quickstart instructions part 2: "Now What?"
  - List the commands needed to start a virtual system so you can sshd
into it.

Great system, keep up the good work!
--
Penelope Fudd <kernel@xxxxxxx>