Re: [Xen-devel] nFroce SATA lockup - problem location tracked down

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] nFroce SATA lockup - problem location tracked down
From: Milan Holzäpfel <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:13:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:14:43 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:30:52 +0000
Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I finally did some more tests with system with nForce3-250Gb SATA
> > controller, whose driver locks the system at boot time when inside xen.
>
> Looks like an interrupt problem. We plan to start using more of the
> Linux DOM0 platform code in our next release which should avoid these
> problems. It also may be that you have some large-numbered IRQs and
> we can simply extend Xen to support those. Can you post the output of
> 'cat /proc/interrupts' from your working Linux installation?

/proc/interrupts on 2.6.9:
|            CPU0
|   0:    2002603          XT-PIC  timer
|   1:       5087    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
|   8:          2    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
|   9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
|  12:         67    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
|  14:        467    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
|  15:       2331    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
|  17:         80   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
|  19:     261861   IO-APIC-level  fcdsl
|  20:          2   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd
|  21:      88475   IO-APIC-level  libata, ohci_hcd
|  22:          0   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd, NVidia CK8S
|  23:     198342   IO-APIC-level  eth0
| NMI:          0
| LOC:    2002471
| ERR:          1
| MIS:          0

private mail is following, but I guess that it may be useful for other
ppl too...

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:33:44 +0000
Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Further to my previous mail, I actually suspect that your setup is
> doomed until we start using the ACPI code in DOM0 Linux. It looks like
> you need a pretty complete ACPI configuration in order to set up IRQ
> routing correctly. That is getting done under Xen/XenLinux and so your
> sata interrupts are going nowhere. :-(
>
> Does your system work with 2.4 kernels? Does your system work if you
> compile a non-ACPI kernel?

When booting with 2.6.9 without ACPI, it hangs at the same position as
Linux does inside Xen.  (at least according to the messages displayed
usually, but I think they should do the job...)

Since I haven't run any 2.4 Kernel on my installation I use normally, I
built & tried to boot a 2.4.28 on a smaller "rescue" installation, which
hasn't got up-do-date GCCs.  I first tried with 3.4.1, then with 3.3.3
(most current GCC from portage is 3.3.4/3.4.3), but the result was the
same:  The last line I get is from grub saying "file ok, booting the
kernel" or sth. like that, an then the system does a reset.  (giving
panic=10 didn't change anything)

I could try compiling a 2.4 kernel with GCC 3.3.4 and with updated
bin86, but I guess this would change anyhting (?)

Also I'm using "unofficial" gentoo profiles, which use
gcc-kernel-headers from 2.6 instead of from 2.4, but well, the problem
occurs fat before glibc is even touched :))

I'd happy to try & report when the changes you mentioned take place.
(unstable bk or whatever I wouldn't mind...)

As soon as this is working, can you say whether it will be possible to
give a 2.4 non-priviledged kernel functional access a PCI device?  (the
reason for me asking this is that I have a freakin' mostly-binary-only
driver for my ADSL hardware, but I some version of that driver for 2.4
is said to be stable, so my idea was to run a driver domain using 2.4
for this crappy piece of hardware...)

>  -- Keir

Regards,
Milan

- --

                   Milan Holzäpfel alias jagdfalke alias jag

Antworten direkt an mich                             Answers directly to me
gehen bitte an eine Addresse,                        go to an address one
die man hier finden kann:                            can find here, please:

Kontaktinfos sowie                                   Contact infos as well as
Öff GnuPG-Schlüssel    <URL:http://con.mjh.name/>    GnuPG Public Key
GnuPG Fingerabdruck     4C8A 5FAF 5D32 6125 89D1     GnuPG Fingerprint
                        0CE5 DB0C AF4F 6583 7966

                    http://www.deppenleerzeichen.de/