Re: [Xen-devel] copy on write memory

> Thats all pretty standard, but here comes the magic:  Any data in the
> XIP2 filesystem is not copied into the cached memory of the guest.
> XIP = eXecute In Place.  Binaries are run directly from the shared
> memory and not cached locally, so if you throw common services and
> libraries (like apache, JVM, etc from your example) into it you get the
> binaries themselves shared with basically no cost to the guests.

We've been talking about implementing something similar (though we'd talked
about implementing it at the block level).  We'd have a shared buffer cache
for read-only data, which domains could opt in to.  If they are sharing
filesystem blocks (e.g. from a CoW LVM volume) the domains would get a shared
read only mapping to the same memory.

Cheers for the info,
Mark