[Xen-devel] Newbie question: privileged vs. unprivileged domains

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Newbie question: privileged vs. unprivileged domains
From: Tomas Karpati <karpati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:07:15 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:43:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I'm new to XEN and I'm trying to run three specialized linux servers
under one hardware platform. I have compiled my own xen kernels that boot ok.

My configuration should look as follows:

The dom0 dommain shoud have access to most of the hardware including one of
two ethernet card.

The dom1 must have exclusive access to the second ethernet card. This domain
will be used as a firewall connected through this interface to the internet.
The connection to the intranet will be based on a brided virtual ethernet.

The dom2 must have exclusive access to the soundcard, and a specialized PCI
card.

I compiled a 2.4.27-xen0 with support for all the devices as modules, and a
2.4.27-xenU with the default configuration (I tryed to add support to some
pci cards but always return compiling errors).

All boot OK. One problem is that for dom1 and dom2 recognize their exclusive
pci cards I have to run the xen0. I loaded the respective modules only in
the respective domains. When I do that almost all is Ok, I can play some mp3
files. But when I run a server that depends on the soundcard I recive an error
like:

Soundcard recieved SG Error, sound disabled

Another problem is that I have a USB keyboard (no ps2 or serial connectors on
motherboard) and when rebooting dom1 or dom2 the server freezes. I tryed to
connect with ssh from my laptop with no response.

Some comments please

Thanks,

Tomas