Re: [Xen-devel] Inheriting CFLAGS

To: Jerome Brown <guruswami@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Inheriting CFLAGS
From: Philip Taylor <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:41:14 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:36:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jerome Brown wrote on 15/11/2004 23:19:
No, I do not have those lines in my Rules.mk file. It was downloaded this morning using the ebuild, so was the xen-2.0.tgz file from sourceforge. If I add -nopie to the CFLAGS in Rules.mk file xen will compile fine, however if I add -nopie to my environment CFLAGS it does not get picked up by the xen build script. Therefore I can compile and install it, but it takes manual intervention, which defeats the idea of using an ebuild :)

Have you tried it with the updated ebuild (by SpanKY) at http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=43893 ? I'm not completely sure what it actually does, but it looks a bit like it alters CFLAGS in Rules.mk and a few other Makefiles to pick up the environment's CFLAGS:
        sed -i \
                -e "/CFLAGS/s:-O3:${CFLAGS}:" \
                tools/libx{c,util}/Makefile \
                tools/misc/{miniterm,nsplitd}/Makefile \
                tools/{misc,xentrace}/Makefile \
                xen/arch/x86/Rules.mk || die "sed cflags"

--
Philip Taylor
philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx