Re: [Xen-devel] Creating Aliases in Domains - Solution?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Creating Aliases in Domains - Solution?
From: Phil Carinhas <pac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:56:00 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:23:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:57:03PM -0600, Phil Carinhas wrote:
>   FYI,
>
>   This may be known, but I discovered how to create an alias interface
>   for a domain. Using the same gateway as the primary nic
>   doesn't work for a Debian-stable xenU. Using the network number
>   the bridge IP, or the primary eth0 number seems to work ok:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>   address 214.213.44.21
>   netmask 255.255.255.240
>   gateway 214.213.44.17
>
> iface eth0:1 inet static
>   address 214.213.44.22
>   gateway 214.213.44.21 (or .18 which is the Xen0 ip)
>   netmask 255.255.255.240

  Sorry to respond to my own posting, but I need to correct something:

 The above statements about using the gateway ip in the aliased
interface are plain wrong. You should not have any gateway for
an alias. The alias forms a bridge-like struct with the primary nic.
Having a bridge inside of a bridge can confuse routing.

 What I did find is that many of the aliased interfaces would not
be reachable from the outside without first pinging out. I tried
a number of things but I finally turned on STP in the bridging
code. That seemed to help. Now all my aliased interfaces are
reachable without any special provision.

-Phil Carinhas
--
| Dr. Philip A. Carinhas       | pac(at)fortuitous.com   |