[Xen-devel] Re: Drivers

Rik van Riel <riel <at> redhat.com> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > The only hardware drivers known to have problems are agpgart and
> > drm.
>
> And a bunch of old ISA drivers that need isa_virt_to_bus.
> Chances are the only one people will notice here is the
> floppy driver - but I haven't heard any complaints yet, so ;)

I'm trying to compile a 2.6.9 dom0 kernel with 2.0 patches using a kernel
configuration as close as possible to debian's 2.6.8-1-k7 kernel.  Along the
way, I get a lot of isa_virt_to_bus_is_UNSUPPORTED errors similar to the below:

  CC [M]  drivers/net/lance.o
drivers/net/lance.c: In function `lance_probe1':
drivers/net/lance.c:564: error: `isa_virt_to_bus_is_UNSUPPORTED' undeclared (fir
st use in this function)
drivers/net/lance.c:564: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only onc
drivers/net/lance.c:564: error: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/net/lance.c: In function `lance_open':
drivers/net/lance.c:780: error: `isa_virt_to_bus_is_UNSUPPORTED' undeclared (fir
st use in this function)
drivers/net/lance.c: In function `lance_init_ring':
drivers/net/lance.c:875: error: `isa_virt_to_bus_is_UNSUPPORTED' undeclared (fir
st use in this function)

So I guess that hits the problem that Rik mentioned above.  I also had this
problem for synclinc.c and floppy.h, so I rgrep'ed for isa_virt_to_bus in the
kernel tree :

drivers/net/lance.c
drivers/net/cs89x0.c
drivers/net/ni65.c
drivers/net/3c505.c
drivers/net/3c515.c
drivers/net/3c527.c
drivers/char/esp.c
drivers/char/tpqic02.c
drivers/char/synclink.c
drivers/scsi/mca_53c9x.c
drivers/scsi/wd7000.c
drivers/scsi/ibmmca.c
drivers/scsi/aha1542.c
drivers/scsi/ultrastor.c
drivers/block/ps2esdi.c
include/asm/io.h
include/asm/floppy.h
include/.asm-ignore/asm/io.h
include/.asm-ignore/asm-i386/io.h
include/asm-x86_64/io.h
include/asm-x86_64/floppy.h
include/asm-i386/io.h
include/asm-i386/floppy.h
include/asm-mips/io.h
include/asm-arm/io.h
include/asm-xen/asm/io.h
include/asm-xen/asm-i386/io.h

So I guess these are the specific ones to watch out for.  Is it safe for me to
just remove each of the above (lance, cs89x0, floppy, etc) from the kernel
configuration?  Also, lots of things include <asm/io.h> - is that safe?

Ian mentioned that it may be trivial to implement isa_virt_to_bus; if you do, I
have floppies to test it out on ;)