Re: [Xen-devel] xen newbie: source install hangs, bin install lacks SMP?

To: Robert Edmonds <edmonds42@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen newbie: source install hangs, bin install lacks SMP?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:12:47 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:26:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> A few newbie questions:
>
>  - the binary install works fine, except the xen0 kernel fails to detect
>    my second CPU (Tyan S2460 mainboard). The debian 2.6.9-1-k7-smp
>    kernel image detects the second CPU fine.

Xen does not yet support multi-processor guests. xen0 boots onto CPU0
-- to use your other CPUs you then must start other VMs on
them. You'll be pleased to know that multi-processor guests are a high
priority for us now.

>  - when I install Xen 2.0 from source and boot, my machine hangs at:
>    (XEN) Scrubbing DOM0 RAM: ..done.
>    Why? I'm using the same grub config:
>
> title          Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9
> root           (hd2,0)
> kernel         /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga
> module         /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/sdb1 ro console=tty0
>
> Thanks!

This is quite worrying -- it indicates that your vmlinuz image is not
bootstrapping properly. Did you rebuild Linux when you rebuilt Xen, or
are you using the vmlinuz image from the binary distribution? Of
course it should not matter, as the 2.0 interfaces aren't
changing....

My guess is that you are trying to use your own build of Linux-xen0
and have missed something important out of the config. :-)
Providing the .config file and the steps you took to build the image
would be useful.

 -- Keir