Re: [Xen-devel] usb storage vitualization

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] usb storage vitualization
From: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 01:44:25 +0000
Cc: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Deepak Manohar" <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:56:59 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Does it just work? USB storage devices would probably alter all the time
> in terms of their major and minor numbers, and would come and go as hot
> pluggable devices do. Maybe udev takes care of all this though.

Weeell, as long as you keep the thing plugged in while you're using it you
shouldn't have any problems exporting the device like any other block device,
so in that sense it should work fine.

Unfortunately, as you rightly point out, by the time you've rebooted dom0 and
plugged / unplugged devices a few times you may find that your USB storage
device has different major / minor.  On non-udev setups, it's quite possibly
going to have a different device node altogether, which will mean your config
file needs updating...

I tend to agree that udev should solve this problem, however, since you'll be
able to configure that device to always bind to the same device node.
Whenever you create the domain, it'll look up the major / minor associated
with that device node and everything should work fine.

Cheers,
Mark