Re: [Xen-devel] Xen cluster n/w performance (again!)

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen cluster n/w performance (again!)
From: David Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:09:43 -0500
Cc: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:12:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
" Is anyone else still seeing network performance anomalies?

I still cannot get over 500Mbps into xenU with any hardware that I have.
This holds using kernels I build, or using kernel binaries from
the 2.0.1 tarball.

I tried tuning a e1000 driver, which greatly reduced the interrupt count,
but had no effect on bandwidth.

I can get 600 to 750 Mbps into domain-0 from a stock linux host.
That rate then drops to around 500 after starting the etherbridge.
Running top on Domain-0 claims the domain is over 60% idle.

This is with e1000 and bcm5703 NICs on IBM x335, Dell 1650 and
other platforms, and a variety of CPU clock speeds.
Running iperf under stock linux 2.4.25 gets 940Mbps between any of them.