[Xen-devel] Re: 4Gb memory limit circumventable?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: 4Gb memory limit circumventable?
From: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:08:10 +0200
Cache-post-path: aka.i.naked.iki.fi!unknown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cancel-lock: sha1:/dE2rYb1rl6avBVF0I0TUA4O5Rk=
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:09:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
> You'd need to modify both Xen and the guest to understand PAE36
> mode.  Not rocket science, but a fair sized chunk of work. BTW:
> x86's loose about 5% of performance operating in PAE36 mode.

Right.

> In short, we don't think it's worth the effort: it's much better
> to switch to x86_64. I doubt there are that many x86 boxes out
> there with more than 4GB of memory that this decision is going to
> effect. It's certainly not possible to buy a new server that
> isn't x86_64 these days...

Well, the hardware in question would be IBM server hardware with 16
gigabytes of memory.

x86_64 is still a new technology and EM64T processors are not readily
available. And your x86_64 support is scheduled for April in any
case. These are hardly things one can depend on.

But yeah, I understand that it might not be worth the effort if it is
no small tweak. Just exploring all the options here.

-- Naked