[Xen-devel] UML->Xen laundry list

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] UML->Xen laundry list
From: Matthew Bloch <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:42:14 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:53:56 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm nearly finished converting our hosting scripts (in Ruby) to work with Xen as well as UML so wondered whether I could solicit some miscellaneous comments on my remaining jobs. I appreciate there may be (yet) no official way to do any of these, but I'd appreciate pointers to the relevant bits of source or any other relevant discussion. The reason is I'm keen to make a few hacks to the user-space tools to better integrate with our existing scripts, not because I'm just poking around in lower level interfaces for fun (though I am having fun :) ).

How to send a Ctrl+Alt+Delete (or sysrq) to a XenLinux guest kernel?

How to create a vif interface from dom0, supply it pre-configured to a domain?

Disc synchronisation: when specifying a block device as a file: from a Linux domain 0, does the back-end driver in dom0 cache disc writes from other domains? i.e. if power is lost, could the journalled filesystems in other domains become corrupted? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but this is just one of those avoidable hazards of UML that I wish to avoid again if possible.

Where in the libxc C interface can I find the name of a domain? I know I probably shouldn't be using this interface, I'm just curious. (there must be a better way than grovelling around in /var/xen)

Finally any docs on the sxp libraries: purpose and formats would be greatly appreciated. I assume it's a light cross-language data serialization library but haven't dug very deeply yet.

cheers,

--
Matthew