Re: [Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend

Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] network access disappears in master on /etc/init.d/xend start
From: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:22:21 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:25:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Disable ipv6 before you start up xend. As ian said in another email, the
xend scripts will reliably choke on the ipv6 addrs. 8-P

Dunno if the following Debian specific example will help any Debian fans
out there. The easiest thing to do is to disable IPv6 for now on
machines that use ifup/ifdown network script tools.

---- alternate network setup method - example only, alter to taste

WARNING: you can't recursively call ifup/ifdown from within ifup/ifdown.
8-( It will hang itself and then you are stuck unless you have serial or
local access. So any configuring withint the up, down, pre-up, post-down
lines MUST use the standard or other tools, never ifup/ifdown. I found
this out the hard way. :)

Add a xen-br0 interface to /etc/network/interfaces.
Do NOT add it to the "auto" list.

Next alter /etc/xen/scripts/network to do the following in the case
stanzas.

-- start
brctl addbr $br
brctl addif $br $dev
ifup xen-br0
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0.

-- stop
ifdown xen-br0, eth0
brctl delif $br $dev
ifconfig xen-br0 down
brctl delbr $br
ifup eth0

Note, this doesn't handle any remaining vifx.x interfaces that the
bridge may have still. 8-P Cleaning up any residual vifs and domains is
up to you. You should be stoping all but domain-0 prior to messing with
the network.

------

Personally, I'd rather see a separate network start/stop script for the
bridge setup from the init.d/xend script. That way you can restart xend
without bombing your network.

Alternatively, you could just make scripts/network return true and
use /etc/network/interfaces and pre-up, up, down, post-down keys in the
interfaces to setup the bridges prior to launching xen.

That's my 0.02 cents. :) Hope it helps some people.