Re: [Xen-devel] xm dmesg and performance on serial port

I might only have configuration problem, but I couldn't find any docs
that could relate to the problem. The command: 'xm dmesg' seems to stop
buffering any output after a while. I have to enable serial port to get
the output bigger than the buffer. I don't know how big the buffer or if
it's circular? Is there anyway to fix this behavior?
It's not currently circular. There used to be a -c flag to xm dmesg (or it's equivalent) that cleared the buffer - does that work? There's code somewhere in Xen which could support a circular buffer with not much effort.
It is not circular or the circular mechanism might have been broken. The buffer just stopped after a certain limit. The code in "console.c" does not seems to be circular either. And the command with "xm dmesg -c" doesn't seem to exist either.

Just by reading the XEN papers, XEN has a way to register asynchronous
events to the domains. Would it be better in terms of performance to
send the event messages to a particular domain (e.g: Domain 0) using the
asynchronous mechanism and have the domain kernel to handle the messages
as XEN events.
We don't use xm dmesg that much for debugging, generally just tracing through the code and using an attached serial line.

You might want to look at the tracebuffer and the xentrace tools. The tracebuffer allows you to log events within Xen itself with low overhead into a circular buffer. The xentrace command in dom0 will read this data out and decode it according to a format file. There's man pages for the xentrace* tools and the docs/interface.tex manual (although mostly out of date) explains how to put trace points into the Xen code.
xentrace seems to be used for debugging purpose. I am actually doing a security project using Xen. On a particular event that happens in the one of the domain, detected by a module in XEN. I'd like to report it or log it. I am trying to find the best way to do this. Let me know if I'm wrong. Isn't the "event_channel" is the communication channel from XEN to a domain. If I want to get XEN buffer messages (I guess it has to be in shared pages with the domain) to privilege domain 0, and flag the domain to check if there's something in the buffer. And get a handler in domain 0 to consume the buffer. I think this would have much less performance effect. Is there any interface existed that I can use for this? Or I'll just have to built it on top of event_channel.

Thanks,
Kuas.