Re: [Xen-devel] xen Makefile being nasty with EXTRAVERSION

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen Makefile being nasty with EXTRAVERSION
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:05:48 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:06:18 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hmmm, well we can easily support all options, in descending order of
> priority:
>  1. XENVERSION specified on command line
>  2. Contents of .extraversion file
>  3. Default to "-xen"
>
> I'll add this to the Linux Makefiles, but I'll leave the root Makefile
> using XENVERSION for now. You can change it to use .extraversion if
> you care. :-)

I think I've changed my mind on this, and have a much better plan:

We shouldn't monkey with EXTRAVERSION at all, but just leave
what's set in the linux toplevel Makefile. We should then have
our top-level Xen build script patch the Makefiles in the linux
build trees as appropriate.

This scheme wins because a) it is 100% compatible with what
distros etc want to do (they use extraversion for their own
purposes); b) doesn't change the current behaviour from a users
POV (i.e. no setting of XENVERSION required); c) is closest to
standard i386 linux; d) requires least Makefile magic.

A clear cut winner if ever I saw one...

Ian