Re: [Xen-devel] about xen inter-domain communication

To: Xin Zhao <zhaoxin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] about xen inter-domain communication
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:26:19 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:32:19 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> If two xen domains need to communicate with each other via the virtual
> network interface, will the transmission speed be limited by the virtual
> bandwidth of the vnic?
>
> For example, can the transmission speed between two domains be over 200M
> bps? That is higher than standard 100M network card, but should be
> achievable for communication within one physical machine.

There's no rate limiting on inter-domain communication (unless
you explicitly configure something using 'tc' in domain 0, as you
would for controlling a domain's external network bandwidth).

However, by default this isn't a super-optimised path, and will
burn more CPU than talking out over a real network.

If you want to get fast inter-domain communication, configure a
direct netfront to netback communication path between the two
domains that doesn't go via the bridge in domain 0.

I'm not sure this can be configured without hacking the current
xend, but its certainly something that the drivers are capable
of. It's certainly something we'd like to support.

Ian