[Xen-devel] Domain0 kernels crashing while loading e100 module

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Domain0 kernels crashing while loading e100 module
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:59:35 +0300
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:12:45 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi again!

I'm using the latest Debian xen 2 packages for Debian 3.1 (sarge/testing) from
Brian Wolfe.

Hardware is Compaq Proliant DL360 server. It has Serverworks chipset, intel
etherexpress pro/100 network card (e100), cpqarray raid and dual Intel P3 / 1
GHz
processors.

The problem happens with both 2.6.8 and 2.4.27 xen domain0 kernels.

If I add e100 module to /etc/modules, for loading it automatically in
the beginning of the boot process, the domain0 crashes during the bootup
when loading the module.

Nothing on the screen, just the normal bootup messages for stuff that has
been done before loading the modules. Powercycle needed to get it booting
(or crashing ;) again. This crash happens during every boot.

Now the weird thing is, If I move the module-init-tools script to the
end of the bootup process (by renaming the /etc/rcS.d/SXXmodule-init-tools
link), the system boots up OK without crashing..

So something that is ran during the bootup enables the e100 module to load
without crashing.. any ideas what that might be? Somebody seeing the same?

I have already disabled the default hotplug and discover scripts from the bootup
sequence.. they seem to have no effect to this problem.

Thanks!

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .