[Xen-devel] TLS segment flipping performance

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] TLS segment flipping performance
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:30:05 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've let my test system (laptop with 1.5GHz Pentium-M) run
kernel compiles for most of the afternoon and the early
evening.

I've ran with both TLS in place and moved out of the way,
rebooting between the tests.  I've taken the best time
out of the series, making the assumption that the worse
times are caused by interference of other things on the
system.

The best kernel compile time without TLS:
real    11m14.776s
user    10m8.540s
sys     0m49.810s

The best kernel compile time with TLS:
real    12m30.661s
user    11m21.730s
sys     0m49.460s

Difference: 1m12s, or 11% slower.

This is all running today's Xen and xenolinux (from bk)
and compiling linux-2.6.8.1-xen0 with the defconfig from
bitkeeper.

cheers,

Rik