Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow page tables?

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Shadow page tables?
From: Michael Vrable <mvrable@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:50:13 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:53:01 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:11:18AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> We intend to flesh out the shadow p.t. code a little mroe to support
> full memory virtualisation. It's not there yet, but it won't require
> an enormous amount of code to get it going.

Any idea what the time frame for this is?  I was considering taking a
stab at it myself, but don't want to duplicate work.

My longer term goal is to try to get copy-on-write sharing of memory
pages between domains and to see how far Xen can scale in running many
nearly-identical virtual machines.  To implement this, however, will
require (at least as I've thought it through) memory virtualization.  So
that was the first thing I was planning to work on.

If no one else was actively working on this, I'm happy to discuss the
design and contribute what I end up with.  (Both for the memory
virtualization and the copy-on-write work.)

(This is also the reason for my interest in copy-on-write disks, though
it's looking like LVM may be too heavyweight for supporting large
numbers of VMs.)

--Michael Vrable