[Xen-devel] 2.6.7-xen0 hang on boot

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] 2.6.7-xen0 hang on boot
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:38:15 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to run today's bitkeeper snapshot with kernel
2.6.7 in dom0.  On bootup time it gets past rc.sysinit
just fine, but after that init fails to switch to runlevel 3.

Compiling the xen0 kernel with magic sysrq report (should
that be on by default in defconfig?) shows me that init is
running every time I press alt-sysrq-p and have caught a
number of call traces, most involving upcalls but one real
gem that looks relevant:

page_fault -> ... -> do_page_fault -> expand_stack

Other common ones are:

page_fault  (all by itself)

work_notifysig -> do_notify_resume -> evtchn_do_upcall -> do_IRQ ->
do_softirq -> do_signal -> get_signal_to_deliver -> force_evtchn_callback

page_fault -> evtchn_do_upcall -> do_IRQ -> do_softirq -> __do_softirq ->
do_page_fault -> force_sig_info -> force_evtchn_callback

page_fault -> evtchn_do_upcall -> do_IRQ -> do_softirq -> do_signal ->
do_page_fault

Sometimes init is running with the EIP at 0x91fef3, which I
suspect is just its won executable or libc.

This is trying to boot Fedora Core 3 / rawhide userland.

Things work when I start init=/bin/bash and the normal bootup
sequence makes it all the way to the end of rc.sysinit.

Things only start failing when init tries to change runlevels.

I am wondering if there's something special about the way Xen
has the virtual memory layout, something that could interfere
with init changing its own commandline or environment...

kind regards,

Rik