Re: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM - FIXED!

To: Chris Andrews <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM - FIXED!
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:07:56 +0100
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:17:29 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On 23 Jul 2004, at 17:01, Keir Fraser wrote:
> >
> > What we need now is some more checking, particularly with SCSI block
> > devices, to see whether there are any more bugs to shake out.
>
> I've given this change a go on my PE1650 (aacraid driver).
> Unfortunately this seems to be one of the SCSI drivers that doesn't
> correctly handle the error condition.
>
> Running my usual test ('compare' in dom0, compiles in other domains), I
> don't see any differences in the compares, but after a few minutes, I
> get the following on the console, and everything is stuck waiting for
> disk.
>
> aacraid: cmd len 00000000 cmd underflow 00010000
> aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI hang ?
>
> The latter message repeats every few seconds. I rebooted the box with
> the Xen console after a few lines. I'm going to try the aacraid driver
> from 2.4.27-rc3, which I believe has had some attention recently.

Looks like the SCSI-merge code will have to be modified. I'll do
IDE-merge code at the same time, so that we just merge less
aggressively rather than falling back to PIO transfers.

I'll leave the check in pci_map_sg(), but it shouldn't ever trigger
after I patch the IDE and SCSI merge routines, so I'll add a warning
message if an invalid scatter-gather list is detected.

 -- Keir