Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 OOPS - causes restart

To: ron minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 OOPS - causes restart
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:35:29 +0100
Cc: Niraj Tolia <ntolia@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:37:46 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> anyone doing LILO and xen? I don't see any example .conf files any more.

Xen's boot image conforms to the 'multiboot' standard, which
turns out not to be such a standard after all... In fact, Grub is
about the only implementation I know of (other than our patched
version of kexec)

I think multiboot is generally a good thing, and I can't think of
any downside to using Grub over Lilo (other than lilo's -R
option, for which standard Grub doesn't really have an
equivalent.)

> I'm going to bite the bullet here and cut my desktop over to Xen if
> possible. Should be amusing.

Have fun ;-)

I ran it on my laptop for a while, but the lack of APM/ACPI
support got to me eventually. In the new IO world it mightn't be
too hard to make ACPI work: all the nasty interpreter stuff would
live in Linux, and we'd just need the bare minimum in
Xen. Haven't looked too closely though -- there may be a gotcha.

Ian