Re: [Xen-devel] network idea

To: Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] network idea
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:43:45 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:46:02 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thankyou for responding.  When you say IO configuration, do you mean
> networking as well? What will happen to the IPs of the domains? Will we
> manually reassign once migrated?

Our focus has been on migration within a cluster (same subnet)
hence the IP can be retained and either the MAC address migrated
too, or other people's ARP caches updated via an unsolicited
broadcast ARP Reply.

Cross subnet migration is more tricky. You either need to tunnel
packets, or change the domain's IP. The latter is likely to be
bad news for any open connections, but is achievable using the
same mechanisms that laptops use for re-DHCPing when coming out
of suspend. The resume code in arch/xen/kernel/setup.c could
easily fake out an APM power resumed event that would then
propagate to the appropriate user space daemons.

Ian