Re: [Xen-devel] booting on a Compaq Proliant 1600

To: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] booting on a Compaq Proliant 1600
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:43:52 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:46:58 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm trying to test Xen on a Compaq Proliant 1600 (P2@350Mhz) but it just
> reboots on startup.
>
> It appears to start Xen up okay, then I see Domain0 start to boot and
> the last thing I see before the screen goes blank is 'Calibrating Delay
> Loop...'. The fact that I see that means that it probably prints 'xxx.xx
> bogomips' and then next bit before it actually crashes.
>
> I think the next thing it gets to is the report on available memory and
> then a report on the cpu.

Interesting -- I haven't heard of anything like this.

How much memory does the machine have? How much memory are you
starting dom0 with (on the xen command line)? Have you tried
varying this?

Please can you post the dmesg output of an SMP linux kernel
booting on the same machine.

Do you get a crash message out or does it just reboot? Could you
hook up a serial line to the machine (and configure xen with a
serial console) to capture the xen and domain0 boot messages?

> Anything obvious anyone can suggest? Is there a list of supported
> hardware somewhere?

It doesn't sound like a driver issue, and Xen should work on
anything newer than a PPro.

Ian