Re: [Xen-devel] Error creating block interface

To: Jody Belka <lists-xen@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error creating block interface
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:07:11 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:09:41 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've now got Xen/Xenolinux booting (no idea how/why; built a new kernel from
> a brand new config file and it worked fine). However, if i try and start a new
> domain up i get the following error:

The xeno-unstable.bk tree is undergoing fairly major upheaval for
the next few days, while we switch over to using the new IO
architecture as the default (in fact the old IO has already been
removed), and sanitise the build system.

We know this is going to temporally break a couple of features
(e.g. live migration), and others features are currently untested
(e.g. virtual disks). Sorry.

For the next couple of days, you're probably better off using a
revision before Tuesday e.g. 1.941.
"bk clone -r1.941 bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-unstable.bk"

As regards virtual disk support, in the new IO world you can just
use one of Linux's LVM variants to provide the same effect. We're
planning on investigating the best way of doing this and provide
tools to make it easy, but it should 'just work' if you set it up
manually. Since some of the LVM implementations support CoW
snapshots, you may get copy-on-write disks for free too...

Ian