Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 1.3/2.0 and stability. what i'm goign to do with it.

To: brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 1.3/2.0 and stability. what i'm goign to do with it.....
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 08:52:40 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 29 May 2004 08:54:02 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have been running Xen 1.3 on a machine for over 2 months now. No
> instabilities, no glitches, nothing (cept for a minor NFS server timeout once
> in a while, I think it's the server, not the box).

Thats good to hear.

> Because of this I am doing a broader testing of xen in a cluster setup. I
> will be working on a set of perl (yes, I know python exists, but I don't know
> how to code python. 8-P) scripts and apps that will allow me to manage this
> cluster of xen boxes and their images. The purpose of the scripts is to
> monitor, start, stop, restart, etc xenolinux (and others like BSD/windows).
> In addition it will be used to do the automatic provisioning of new xenolinux
> instances after they are sold from the terrabox website.

Having these kinds of tools would be very useful.

I'd really recommend that you have a play with python -- its very
quick to learn and you'll find that the scripts are _far_ more
maintainable. It'll be easier for other people to collaborate.

> For now i'll be selling mini dev environments for people that still (god only
> knows why) code and run MUDs. :)  Later I want to expand it to be a "scale as
> you need it" hosting setup. I'd like to be able to increase the maximum ammt
> of ram realtime. I know that xen can (in theory, not tried yet) do cpu slice
> limiting. And i've also seen indications that iSCSI is workable.

I've found iSCSI to work really well. I've been using the Cisco
initiator code with an initrd to mount the domain's root file system
over iSCSI. I've been using a NetApp F840 to provide the iSCSI LUNs.

As regards CPU slice limiting, I've observed strange scheduling
behaviour from both the BVT and Atropos schedulers over the last
week, so I think we'll have to bug hunting session...

Ian