Re: [Xen-devel] boot problem

To: Carlos Alberto Pereira Gomes <carlos@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] boot problem
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:08:21 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:15:05 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The boot process stops with the following repeating message:
>
> "ide_do_drive_cmd [ide_wait]: still waiting"
>
> I've tried passing some boot prompt parameters to xenolinux.gz,
> describing ide address and irq with the same result.

It's not a xenolinux problem, as its Xen that handles the IDE
hardware under Xen 1.2 (this is about to change in the unstable
tree).

I suspect the problem is that its trying to use the CDROM in DMA
mode, whereas the Xen driver should only be using PIO for the
SIS5513/CDROM. Does IDE disk work OK, or have you not been able
to get the system up to check? Can you disable CDROM DMA in the
BIOS?

Please can you post the equivalent lines of output from Xen?

We've got pretty good coverage on modern server hardware, but
laptops can be pretty weird. It does work on most OK, though we
currently don't support USB devices. (I use it on my Toshiba R100).

When the new IO stuff goes into the tree in a few weeks time
this particular problem will likely be solved as a side effect.

Best,
Ian