[Xen-devel] Role of Xen/Xenolinux in New IO networking

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Role of Xen/Xenolinux in New IO networking
From: "Barry Silverman" <barry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:38:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:40:19 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know I have asked this before, but I am having trouble understanding the role of each component in the new 1.3 world:

In 1.3 networking if Xen has no devices, and domain 0 owns and operates the NIC – does Xen have any role at all in networking for the guest OS’s?

Which network device driver will a guest OS use?

Do all the vnetif rules defined in Domain 0 now get interpreted by Domain 0 vnet driver? Or still by Xen?

How do the actual packets (that will be routed to a guest) flow from the physical NIC – (received by a domain 0 driver, routed/filtered by ???, passed over a evtchn to a guest driver?)

Barry Silverman