Re: [Xen-devel] memory fault

To: David Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] memory fault
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:23:03 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:28:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> " >      DOM2: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x20/0)
>
> " It's pretty unlikely this is anything to do with Xen -- I bet you
> " could reproduce this on a stock Linux compiled without CONFIG_HIGHMEM
>
> You are correct.  This message pops up on stock linux as well if
> memory is constrained as tight as in our Xen config.

Good (at least for us!).

> " >  DOM3: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c3f77820
>
> The EIP is in arch/xeno/drivers/network/network.c:_network_interrupt()
> I no longer have the oops messages unfortunately.   We had to get
> the hosts going again for that project and the oops got lost.

Interesting. I'd certainly like to see an Oops for this one.

> " >      DOM1: Weird failure in hard_start_xmit
>
> Xen prints this message here:
> xeno-1.2.bk/xen/net/dev.c:816: printk("Weird failure in hard_start_xmit!\n");

[I was confused by the 'DOM1' prefix and was looking in
xenolinux]

> That "hard_start_xmit" message showed up on the hosts with
> Broadcom BCM5703 NICs.

I'm afraid the tg3 chipset is pretty flaky, and the driver needs
to be pretty careful. Our version of the tg3 driver is a few revs
behind the one in stock Linux, but it could quite easily be
brought up to date. (I'd use linux.bkbits.net to extract a patch
and apply -- i think our version is:
http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.4/diffs/drivers/net/tg3.c@xxxxx?nav=index.html|src/.|src/drivers|src/drivers/net|hist/drivers/net/tg3.c).

Would you be able to have a go at this?

Cheers,